Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Drake Jensen ; Country Music's Latest OUTlaw talks to BCNY






Drake Jensen's new album OUTlaw will be released officially March. 12, 2013 although it  is available for
pre- release here: http://www.drakejensen.ca/store.html





In honor of his new single being released next week " When It Hurts Like That" I recently had the pleasure
 of having " Q and A"  session with Canada's country music sensation Drake Jensen. Drake talked to me about his life, his music, and the release of his upcoming album OUTlaw .





BC: So I know you are from Canada but some of my readers may not...Tell me a little about growing up there and what that was like...
DJ: I grew up in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, which is a small coal-mining town by the ocean.  I grew up modestly, the grandson of a coal miner, and entertained myself by listening to all types of music.



BC: I heard that you mother loved country music as well...who were some of her favorite artist to listen to  and who are your inspirations?




Drake Jensen as a  younger "OUTlaw" 



DJ: I grew up listening to John Denver, John Conely, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Reba McEntire, George Strait.  My major influences in Country Music are Dolly Parton and Garth Brooks.  However I listen to many types of music, and some of my other influences are ABBA and Duran Duran.  


BC: That surprising...well not really! ( both laugh)...who would you like to meet someday and perform with?

DJ: Garth Brooks for sure!






                                              Drake Jensen " On My Way To Finding You" 




BC: So tell me about your new album OUTlaw and what makes it different from your previous release?

DJ: The previous release was me getting my footing back after being on hiatus for a while.  Don't get me wrong, On My Way To Finding You is a great album and has re-started my music career on a different level.  OUTlaw, however, I believe is a true expression of who I am musically.  I love this album so much that if it were the last album I ever did, I'd be happy.  I also co-wrote 5 of the songs on OUTlaw, which allowed me to express myself even more. 

BC: I can't wait because I loved " On my way to finding you" !

DJ: Thank you!






Rugged Country Bear  Woof!





BC: Now to the Meat and potatoes ( both laugh) You are very attractive and I am sure you have many fans both male and female...being gay myself  I wanted to ask you  if you consider yourself a " Bear" ?
( an affectionate term used by gay men to describe a rugged and  masculine man with a lot of body hair)
I think you are! WOOF! ( both laugh)
DJ:  Thank you ! ( laughing)  Yes, I do consider myself a Bear, and I have the fur to prove it! (we both laugh)

BC: Are you single or seeing anyone special?
DJ:  I am married, have been for 5 years, to my husband Sean.  We met 6 years ago.  
BC; Congrats, that's awesome!... I am sure some fans will be disappointed!
DJ: Laughing...thanks...he's also my personal manager, handling all my business affairs.




BC: What is your astrological sign? Are you into that at all?

DJ: I'm very much into that.  I'm an Aries.
BC: I find a lot of creative people are Aries so that makes sense!



BC: When did you first discover that you were attracted to the opposite sex?

DJ:  I knew I was attracted to men when I was very young, around the age of 5. 

BC: When did you officially " Come Out" ?...was your family accepting?

DJ: I came out to my family when I was 26, and have been fortunate to be surrounded by people who love me very much.

BC: Me too ...we are blessed!

DJ: Absolutely!




BC: Speaking of " Coming Out"...have you suffered any repercussions due to that regarding your career? I know the music industry in general is pretty open but Country Music is seemingly not.

DJ:  I have never really tired to fit in anywhere.  I believe in destiny and that my music will find its home with the listeners it was meant for.  If the Country Music genre decides it wants to accept me, then that's OK, but I won't be waiting.




                                        Drake Jensen featuring Willam Belli " Stand By Your Man"



BC: Tell me how Stand By Your Man with Performance and Drag Artist William Belli came about....was he fun to work with?

DJ: I have a business associate and very good friend on the west coast who is also friends with Willam.  I just happened to mention that idea, (it was actually our producer's idea to do a duet with a drag queen) and he got the ball rolling and made it happen. 
BC: He was very fun to watch on RuPaul's Drag Race!
DJ:  Willam was great to work with, we had a blast!
BC: It shows!



BC: When is the new album OUTlaw officially being released?

DJ: The album will be officially released on Tuesday March 12, 2013.

BC: What can we expect from you after the album drops ? 

DJ:   We're having a CD launch show and party the next day at the National Arts Centre with 200 friends.  

BC: Will you be touring?

DJ: We do plan on touring the US.  Requests are coming in from all over the country from people really wanting to see me.  You should be seeing me in the US in the Fall of 2013.

BC: looking forward to it!




BC: What would you like everyone reading this to know about you and your music?

DJ: Its not so much about me and my music, but rather about my mission.  I believe that I was meant to fill a void.  A lot of people have told me that they've come back to country music because there is a gay male voice.  Its an honour for me to fill that position.
BC: I agree! Thank you so much for the " Q and A" I really appreciate it and wish you much success with OUTlaw!
DJ: Thank you it was my pleasure!

This was a fun interview ! I love country music I  believe in what Drake Jensen is doing and his talent.


Drake Jensen is living his life the way he sees fit  which is being true to himself and being driven by what he loves ; his passion for music and sharing with the world. I personally love listening to Drake Jensen's  rich voice and his music definitely evokes feelings from his listeners. I will be ordering his latest album OUTlaw and I hope all you country lovers will too! What's not to love? Drake Jensen is a country " Bear" with a big ol' heart and he's singing it out for you all and " That's The Way I see It " Xx Billy Charles 





Please follow Drake Jensen on Twitter @DrakeJensen and get to know him on his website:





5 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview... I love Drakes' music.. He is a great singer and to me it doesn't matter what his sexual orientation is.. He is devoted to his music and especially to stop bullying, which is so important... He is a very special cowboy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I both enjoyed Drake's videos. I Love that William Belli was in "Stand by your man CUTE..."Straight,Gay,You go for your passion and he did.I Love the songs Ive heard so far and am looking forward to his new album. He seems to have a big heart and I hope to see him "Out" more. Great interview Billy!J~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and interesting interview! I can safely say after partying at a country bar last weekend that after about 11:00 and several drinks, nobody cares if you're gay or straight. Everyone was dancing with everyone and we girls couldn't keep our men off the poles! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot!
    soundcloud promotion

    ReplyDelete